Fathers’ Rights in Tennessee
Trust a Franklin Attorney to Protect Your Rights
If you are a father whose goal is a more prominent role in the life of your child, this tendency on the part of the state's family law courts does not have to become your reality. As a Franklin family lawyer, I want to level the playing field for fathers and former husbands in the greater Nashville and Middle Tennessee areas.
Contact my firm today at (615) 645-1335 to discuss your options today.
Protecting Fathers' Rights in TN
Under Tennessee law, joint child custody is allowed with the main consideration being the child’s best interests. As a father, your custody rights will be evaluated based on if you can provide a safe and stable home, provide for the child’s needs, and can parent skillfully.
If you are a biological father who is considering a divorce or custody petition and you want to be considered as primary residential parent, you should be familiar with these factors that courts consider:
- The parent's ability to instruct, inspire and encourage the child
- Stability of the child's relationship with each parent
- The parent's willingness to encourage a relationship between the child and the other parent
- The ability of each parent to provide for the child
- The degree to which a parent has been the primary caregiver in the past
- The child's emotional needs and developmental level
- The emotional fitness of each parent, and any evidence of abuse by a parent
- The preference of the child if he or she is 12 years of age or older
In 1997, the state legislature determined that a parent's gender should not be a help or hindrance when being considered for primary custody of a child. At Dana McLendon Law, I want to see this law enforced, so fathers can become more involved in their children's upbringing.
Discuss your rights as a father in Tennessee by calling Dana McLendon Law at (615) 645-1335. Schedule your free initial consultation today!
See What My Clients Say
“He was genuinely concerned about the outcome of our cases and walked us through six separate trials.”- Former Client
“Dana took my case after an average experience with a prominent attorney in Franklin.”- Former Client
“Dana, You did an amazing job on helping us through this case.”- Jeremy & Alisha